Posted by isulib on June 22, 2016
The Cunningham Memorial Library operates year-round. Here are some important items to be aware of as we head into the summer months:
- Summer hours will be in effect beginning May 16: Monday-Thursday, 7:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.; Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.; Saturday, Noon – 5:00 p.m.; Sunday, Noon – 9:00 p.m.
- The Cup and Chaucer Café is currently open 8am – 1pm.
- OIT has permanently closed the IT student consultant help desk, previously located between the Circulation and Reference counters. ISU Library personnel cannot provide technical support for user’s personal electronic devices. Students will be referred to the Technology Support Center (Stalker 009). Check http://www2.indstate.edu/oit/# or phone 812.237.2910 for summer hours.
- RESEARCH, REFERENCE, INSTRUCTIONAL SUPPORT: Reference/Instruction Librarians are available for in-class and online support. Faculty wishing to schedule information literacy-based sessions should contact the Instruction Scheduler, email@example.com or call 812.237.2604. The Library’s main instruction classroom will be unavailable for much of May-July, so plan ahead or request librarians come to your regular classroom. Contacting librarians to prepare for fall semester instructional support can expedite the planning process, whether it is scheduling, developing new research guides (LibGuides), or consulting on research/writing assignments.
- In addition to available assistance at the 1st floor desk (Circulation/Reference), people wishing to set up reference and research consultations are invited to use the MEET WITH A LIBRARIAN ONLINE FORM. Find it on the library website under the HELP drop-down menu, as well as elsewhere on the homepage & website. Bookmark/Favorite it on your own computer: http://library.indstate.edu/forms/liaison.asp.
- Summer is an excellent time for families to explore our TMC, children’s fiction and non-fiction (Lower Level) as well as having less competition for finding and checking out your favorite movie and TV DVDs from the 1st floor Browsing
- It’s also a great time to see what our streaming media collections, Films on Demand and Alexander Street, have that you can link to (full documentaries or just short segments, or your own Playlists)
- The Library has copies of the new 8th edition of the MLA Handbook. Check the online catalog for location and availability.
Don’t forget to like us on Facebook and connect with the Library’s other social media (blog, Twitter, Instagram)
Posted in Library information, News | Leave a Comment »
Posted by isulib on June 18, 2016
Special Collections‘ summer exhibit Greetings From…Travel through the Centuries is officially open. The exhibit explores how motivations for and experiences of travel have changed over time through personal accounts, photographs, art, and artifacts.
PARTICIPATE!!! ADD TO THE EXHIBIT!! You can also write about your own personal explorations on a postcard and “mail” it to Special Collections by putting it in the Special Collections mail box located next to the bust of Eugene V. Debs (Library, 3rd floor).
The exhibit will be open through August 8th and the online exhibit is available here http://omeka.indstate.edu/exhibits/show/greetings
Posted in Library information, Special Collections | Leave a Comment »
Posted by isulib on June 17, 2016
The library posted a fulltime, benefits-eligible Non-Exempt (bi-weekly) Staff position, Library Resource Sharing Associate, to the ISU hiring site. The posting is now active and electronic applications are being received.
Library Resource Sharing Associate: Fulltime, benefits-eligible staff position. Assists in all phases of the Interlibrary Loan Unit. Includes use of specialized software, customer service, billing, manual searches of the library collection, and use of standard office equipment including scanners and fax machine. Responsible for the appropriate sorting, distribution, and packaging of all Interlibrary Loan and Statewide Remote Circulation System incoming and outgoing mail. Implements and maintains procedures and policies. Ensures quality library services and resolves related problems. Serves as the Resource Sharing Associate and participates in the supervision of student assistants. Participates in goal setting and planning objectives. Possesses good interpersonal skills, including tact, courtesy and civility in accordance with the Library’s mission, vision and values.
Position requires a working knowledge of: ILLiad, Sierra, OCLC, ALA ILL Code, lending policies of other libraries, copyright laws, billing management software and Microsoft Office programs.
Reports directly to the Chair of the Technical Services Department and indirectly to the Resource Sharing Coordinator.
Indiana State University is an EEO/AA employer and is committed to recruiting and retaining minority faculty and staff.
For a complete position description, including qualifications, see http://jobs.indstate.edu.
Posted in Academic Library Jobs, Library information | Leave a Comment »
Posted by isulib on June 17, 2016
Jason Krueger’s walnut ink drawing “I forgot that I love you.” (Drowning, Isometrics at the Border version) was among the 52 artworks selected for the 72nd Annual Wabash Valley Exhibition at the Swope Art Museum.
The exhibition opens Saturday, June 18th, with an award announcement and ceremony at 3 p.m. The exhibition will close Saturday, August 20th.
UPDATE FROM http://www.tribstar.com/news/local_news/swope-reschedules-nd-annual-wabash-valley-exhibition-reception/article_157f5610-763a-5f5d-8089-363dae1b07b9.html
Swope reschedules 72nd Annual Wabash Valley Exhibition reception
Due to equipment repairs on its 1901 building, the Swope Art Museum is rescheduling the opening reception for the 72nd Annual Wabash Valley Exhibition. The reception was originally scheduled to take place from 3 to 5 p.m. Saturday. The rescheduled opening will be from 6 to 9 p.m. July 1 as part of the July Downtown Terre Haute First Friday event. The juried exhibition will include recent work by artists from Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky, Michigan and Ohio. The 72nd Annual Wabash Valley Exhibition is made possible by First Financial Bank.
The exhibition Remembering Eugene Debs will also open on July 1. This exhibition features the work of artists responding to the progressive ideas, humanitarian values and social criticism of Debs.
The Swope is at 25 S. Seventh St.
Posted in Library information, permanent art collection, Staff News | Tagged: jason kreuger | Leave a Comment »
Posted by isulib on June 16, 2016
ISU Art Gallery Director Meredith Lynn and Permanent Art Collection Curator Jason Krueger were awarded a grant connected to Indiana’s Bicentennial celebration and will be busy working on a student led exhibit and catalog of work by Hoosier artists in PAC.
Currently Jason is busy cleaning and prepping work for the exhibit while Meredith works on structuring a course for the Curatorial Studies students that have been putting together the exhibit while learning about exhibit design and Indiana art.
The Indiana State University Newsroom article about the grant award can be found here: http://www2.indstate.edu/news/news.php?newsid=4702
Posted in Library information, permanent art collection | Tagged: Indiana Bicentennial | Leave a Comment »
Posted by isulib on June 15, 2016
Two of our very own Cunningham Memorial Library personnel recently received prestigious awards during the Bayh College of Education’s Honor Day Convocation.
Librarian Susan Frey received the J. Fred Swalls Award in School Administration. This award, established in 1979 by members of the faculty in honor of Dr. Swalls, is awarded to a deserving student in the School Administration Ph.D. program.
Student Assistant Bryce Brocar was awarded the Elisha A. Bourne Scholarship. The award, established in 2006 by a gift from the estate of James Elrod in memory of his grandfather Elisha A. Bourne, is awarded to juniors who plan to teach and reside in Indiana. Upon completion of requisite courses with the required level of success, Bryce was also admitted to the Becoming a Complete Professional program.
Posted in Faculty-centered, Staff News, Student-centered | Leave a Comment »
Posted by isulib on June 15, 2016
Harini Pinnoju has accepted the position of Digital Initiatives Technician in the Special Collections Department. Harini will work in the Digital Initiatives unit area under Kayla Siddell’s supervision. Her first day in the library will be Wednesday, June 15th.
Posted in Staff News | Leave a Comment »
Posted by isulib on June 15, 2016
National Library Legislative Day 2016/Honorable representation of Robin Crumrin
On May 3rd, I had the honor of “hitting the Hill” with over 400 library representatives from across the country. It is a personally gratifying and humbling experience to represent Indiana Libraries and be their voice. The library advocates (from all types of libraries) spoke with legislators and their staff about four key asks:
- CONFIRM Dr. Carla Hayden as the next Librarian of Congress
- SUPPORT LSTA and Innovative Approaches to Literacy (IAL) Funding
- PASS Electronic Communications Privacy Act Reform
- RATIFY the Marrakesh Treaty for the print-disabled ASAP
If you’re interested in more information you can check out the issues briefs for 2016.
– Robin Crumrin, Dean
The Indiana Librarian Delegation for National Library Legislative Day 2016
Tara White, Robin Crumrin, Leslie Preddy, Gigi Shook, Terry Rheinheimer
Posted in Library Advocacy, Staff News | Tagged: national library legislative day | Leave a Comment »
Posted by isulib on June 14, 2016
Due to a new construction project involving the tunnels, the library book drop closest to the street – just past the Student Recreation Center – will be slightly inaccessible for a while.
Park and walk between the fencing around the corner to the drop.
Posted in Library information, News | Tagged: book drop | Leave a Comment »